Graduate Jobs South Vacancy Policy
Graduate Jobs South (GJS) works in partnership with Southampton Solent University, the University of Southampton, the University of Winchester and the University of Chichester. It offers a free service for employers, recruitment agencies and voluntary organisations wanting to advertise their opportunities to local students and graduates.
We adhere to the Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services’ Equal Opportunities Policy and Best Practice in Graduate Recruitment (www.agcas.org.uk).
Before you complete your registration and start advertising your opportunities please read the following terms and conditions.
Registering and Advertising:
If your company is not yet registered with GJS then you will need to register before you can advertise an opportunity.
1. We will endeavour to register your organisation within two days of receipt. Once registered, your organisation and logo will appear on our business directory for all users to access. You can then start advertising opportunities on our searchable online database.
2. Once the vacancy has been advertised, students & graduates will apply to you directly via the site and you must contact applicants directly to arrange interviews and inform candidates of the result of an application. GJS does not offer a placing service and does not guarantee responses to adverts.
3. If possible, all vacancies should have a definite closing date. If no closing date is provided we will assign a period of one month from the date of posting to the Website.
4. Please note, any job opportunities relevant to Southampton Solent University students and graduates will also be posted on their website Jobshop Online (link).
5. It is the employers’ responsibility to advise students/graduates on relevant insurance, tax and NI issues, as GJS only advertises vacancies and does not screen candidates for, or advise on, individual vacancies.
Please note that following representations from academic staff, we do not advertise any organisations that provide essay, dissertation or coursework writing services.
Opportunities we advertise:
6. We can advertise the following kinds of vacancy
- Graduate level vacancies with an immediate or future start date (full and or part-time)
- Placement schemes e.g. holiday placements and industrial year - long placements
- Voluntary work with charities and not-for-profits that could be considered ‘graduate level’ for example where they can use their skills and gain valuable work experience.
7. Only vacancies based within the GJS region* will be displayed on the website, opportunities outside the region will be posted on the Southampton Solent University Jobshop Online website instead.
8. We do not handle any vacancies that, to our knowledge:
- Are commission-only based
- Involve any form of investment by the applicant
- Do not comply with the National Minimum Wage (for paid work) or any other aspect of employment or equal opportunities law
- Are unpaid, unless they are for charities or not-for-profits and are therefore viewed as volunteering
- Discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other equal opportunities legislation
- Involve students undertaking academic work for other students
- Promote or involve illegal or immoral activities
- Represent an undue health and/or safety risk to the applicants
- Are connected to the adult/sex industry
- Have misleading, incomplete or inaccurate job descriptions
- Are based in private residences
- Are submitted by employers who do not have a registered company name and addres
9. If your company requires photos with completed applications or CVs please consider what purpose they serve and whether their use is objectively justifiable. If their use cannot be justified, your organisation could be liable for employment discrimination claims.
10. We reserve the right to both edit opportunities to fit into our database format and reject those that contravene Graduate Jobs South policy, Equal Opportunities legislation and the National Minimum Wage. We can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracies made when inputting data, however please do not hesitate to contact the GJS team if you notice any information that needs amending.
11. We are happy for recruitment agencies to advertise specific vacancies on the website; however we do not post generic advertisements for students or graduates to register with an agency. Recruitment agencies may advertise a vacancy to fill at their own company on the website.
12. If you are advertising a vacancy on behalf of another employer, the GJS team must be notified of their details including company name and address. We cannot advertise the vacancy until this information is received. Please be advised that this information will be held in strict confidence by GJS and will not be disclosed on the advert or to any third parties.
13. At the moment this service is free of charge but this may be subject to change. You will be notified if this is to change.
Information automatically collected as you browse our website:
14. The GJS service automatically collects anonymous information which is used to improve the content of our web pages. This is not personal information but IP addresses, demographic data, and browsing patterns. This may be used to audit usage of our website, to inform our marketing activity and help in future service development. We never sell, rent or share any of the information we collect by this method (except anonymous aggregate information) with any third party.
15. GJS, based in Southampton Solent University, has appropriate security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse or alteration of information we have collected from you. These security measures include the necessary protection to prevent, as far as possible, access to our databases by parties other than the GJS administration team.
Information for job and opportunity seekers:
16. When you register, you will be asked to provide your name, email address, postcode and other information. We will use this to profile the website to better suit your needs and to contact you when necessary. We will use any demographic information you provide for internal monitoring to help us improve the service.
17. We will hold your email address, registration information and any applications you may make to employers via the website on its systems for as long as you remain a registered user of the database. You may unsubscribe or change your email alerts preferences at any time through the website.
Information for organisations:
18. When you use GJS to promote your company or submit an opportunity, you will be asked to provide contact details and/or business information. We will use any information you provide for internal monitoring to help us improve the service for organisations, students and graduates. By submitting company, opportunity or vacancy information to GJS you agree that your business details (not personal information) will be added to an online database that can be searched by jobseekers.
19. GJS will hold your email address on its systems for as long as you remain a registered user of the database. You may unsubscribe or change your email alerts preferences at any time through the website.
20. The employer should be aware when recruiting a student currently studying of students’ study obligations (except during vacations) and should bear these in mind when negotiating hours for term-time work with students.
21. We accept no responsibility for the arrangements between the employer and the employee. Graduate Jobs South does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered by employers arising from, or in any way connected with, the introduction to the employer of any employee.
22. Graduate Jobs South does not accept any liability for loss, damage or inconvenience suffered by an employer or advertiser where access to the Website is suspended or lost through circumstances beyond the control of Graduate Jobs South.
The placement of an advert with Graduate Jobs South shall be regarded as acceptance of this vacancy policy.
This policy may be amended from time to time, please ensure you review it regularly. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
*The GJS region consists of the following counties in the UK: Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Dorset, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, Oxfordshire, Surrey, Sussex and Wiltshire.