On-ramping is the process of re-entering the workforce after taking care of a career . It is paired with the term “off-ramping”, or exiting the workforce as a temporary career break.
The Hidden Brain Drain, a taskforce led by economist Sylvia Ann Hewlett, but they do find it difficult to rectify the problem. enter the workforce, this is called ‘off-ramping’ and ‘on-ramping’. Short amount of time off-ramped (around 2.2 years), but even this can incur financial penalties.Women who spend around three years off-ramp see their earning power decrease by 37 percent. ”  A study by the Center for Work-Life Policy that is more than 90 percent of those women who off-ramp eventually wish to on-ramp back into the work force.
The term appears as early as 2005,  reaching public mention on NPR  that same year. The term appears in articles in such publications as the Wall Street Journal  by 2006, and by 2008 appears in formal training materials for organizations such as the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants  as a business best practice .
Sylvia Ann Hewlett, as the likeliest originator of the term (in Hewlett & Luce (2005),  ) has developed a career site (YourOnRamp) to capitalize on it and is a supporter of the entrepreneurial networking organization LadiesWhoLaunch .
- Jump up^ Elaine Aarons, Hidden Drain Brain Taskforce, as reported inhttp://www.thelawyer.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?id=114645&d=pndpr&h=pnhpr&f=pnfpr
- Jump up^ Hannah Seligson (2008-12-06). “Off Ramp to On Ramp: It Can Be a Hard Journey” . NY Times . Retrieved 2012-07-25 .
- Jump up^ “We Can Stop the Female Brain Drain,” by Sylvia Ann Hewlett, March 6, 2005
- Jump up^ marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2005/12/09/off_ramping/
- Jump up^ Sue Shellenbarger of the Wall Street Journal writes about the efforts of Lehman Bros. and other Employers to help.
- Jump up^ http://www.aicpa.org/download/career/wofi/0666-331_WLWIECs_Off-Ramping_Program.pdf
- Jump up^ “Off Ramp and OnRampers” (PDF) (Press release). Center for Work Life Policy. 2005-02-25 . Retrieved 2006-07-03 .