Contract killing is a form of murder in which one party hires another party to kill a target individual or group of people. It involves an illegal agreement between two parties or other parties. Either party may be a person, group, or an organization. In the United States, the crime is punishable by 15 years to life in a state penitentiary. Contract killing has been associated with organized crime , government conspiracy and with vendettas . For example, in the United States, the gang Murder, Inc. committed Hundreds of murders On Behalf of theNational Crime Syndicate during the 1930s and 1940s.
Contract killing Provides the hiring party with the advantage of not HAVING to commit the actual killing, making it more difficulty for law enforcement to connect Said party with the murder. The likelihood that the party is guilty of having committed crime, especially due to lack of forensic evidence linked to the contracting party, makes the case more difficult to attribute to the hiring party.
A study by the Australian Institute of Criminology of the United States and the United States of America. The study also found that the average payment for a “hit” was $ 15,000 with variation from $ 5,000 up to $ 30,000 and that the most commonly used weapons were firearms . Contract killings accounted for 2% of murders in Australia during that time period. Contract killings also make up a relatively similar percentage of all killings elsewhere. For example, they made up about 5% of all murders in Scotland from 1993 to 2002. 
- Glennon Engleman , american dentist who moonlighted a hitman [ citation needed ]
- Christopher Dale Flannery , reputed Australian hitman
- Salvatore ‘Sammy the Bull’ Gravano , an underboss
- Charles Harrelson , American hitman, father of actor Woody Harrelson
- Richard Kuklinski , American contract killer, claims to have murdered over 250 men
- Marinko Magda , Serbian hitman convicted for 11 murders, including a Hungarian family
- Alexander Solonik , Russian hitman who killed more than 30 Russian mafia bosses, and who was known to carry a firearm in each hand
- Benjamin Siegel , a Jewish hitman who headed the Bugs and Meyer Mob and was a hitman for Murder, Inc. Siegel was also the Italian mob’s main hitman during Prohibition .
- Vincent Coll , an Irish-American hitman who worked for Dutch Schultz and Owney Madden .
- Li Fuguo , a Tang Dynasty Eunuch killed by a hitman by Emperor Tang Daizong .
- Shiori Ino , a 21-year-old University student killed by hitman Yoshifumi Kubota, who served 18 years in prison for the killing. He was paid by her ex-boyfriend and his brother.
- Grady Stiles , a freak show performer whose family hired a hitman to kill him because of his abuse.
- Harry Greenberg , associate mafia of Charles “Lucky” Luciano , Meyer Lansky , and Siegel. He was killed by Siegel, Whitey Krakower , Albert Tannenbaum , and Frankie Carbo in 1939.
- Joe Masseria , was a Mafia boss that was murdered by Siegel, Vito Genovese , Albert Anastasia , and Joe Adonis in 1931.
- Salvatore Maranzano , was a Castellammarese Mafia boss and rival to Masseria in the Castellammarese War and was killed by Siegel and several other men in 1931.
- Benjamin Siegel , Las Vegas mob boss and Flamingo Hotel owner, killed by unknown Assailants in 1947.
- Nicole Doucet Ryan attempted to hire an undercover Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer to kill her husband. After ruling she couldn’t use the defense of duress , the Supreme Court of Canada ordered she not be retried. 
- Tim Lambesis , vocalist of heavy metal bands As I Lay Dying , Austrian Death Machine and Pyrithion, who is trying to hire someone to kill his wife through a contact at his gym. The alleged “hitman” turned out to be a police officer masquerading as a hitman. 
- Silas Jayne , Chicago -a stable owner, was convicted in 1973 of hiring hitmen to murder his half-brother George. 
- Mike Danton , NHL player form , hired an undercover federal agent to kill his sports agent.
- Italian crime boss John Gotti hired hitmen to murder Paul Castellano outside of Sparks Steak House ; the murder was carried out in December 1985. 
- Wanda Holloway : The Positively True Adventures of the Alleged Texas Cheerleader-Murdering Mom is based on Holloway’s hiring a hitman to kill the mother of a girl competing with her daughter at cheerleading.
- Lawrence Horn , record producer Whose hiring of a hitman led to the box Rice v. Paladin Press
- Charlotte Karin Lindström , Swedish waitress / model who attempted to hire a hitman to kill people.
- Pamela Smart of Derry, New Hampshire , who made national headlines in 1991 for hiring teenage lover Billy Flynn and his friends to murder Gregory Smart.
- Wallace Souza , Brazilian television presenter who was accused of hiring hitmen to murder at least five people in 2009 to increase his program ratings.
- Ruthann Aron , convicted of hiring a hitman to kill a husband and a lawyer who had a fraud case against her.
- Charles “Lucky” Luciano , American Mafia and Luciano crime family boss . Ordered Siegel, Tannenbaum, Genovese, Buchalter, Carbo, and Krakower to murder Mustache Petes Joe Masseria and Sal Maranzano in 1931, and stool pigeon Harry Greenberg in 1939.
- The Commission , American Mafia ruling body that ordered Siegel’s murder in 1947.
Fictional cases of contract killing or “hitmen” are depicted in a range of popular fiction genres in the 20th and 21st century, including movies, comic books and video games.
- Federal crime in the United States
- Murder, Inc.
- Organized crime
- People v. Superior Court (Decker)
- Private military company
- Jump up^ “Lovers top contract killing hit list” . CNN. February 5, 2004.
- Jump up^ “Homicide in Scotland, 2002” . Government of Scotland.
- Jump up^ “Ex-husband in hit-man’s case says short were wrong – Nova Scotia” . CBC News .
- Jump up^ “Tim Lambesis Sentenced to Six Years in Jail for Murder-for-Hire Plot” . Retrieved February 21, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Boyle, Robert H. (June 4, 1973). “End Of A Bloody Bad Show” . Sports Illustrated . Retrieved March 21, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “John Gotti Mob Boss Is Dead” . The Smoking Gun. June 10, 2002 . Retrieved May 10, 2015 .
- Nothing Personal , a television documentary series that focuses on stories of contract killings.