Challenger, Gray & Christmas , with headquarters located in Chicago, Illinois , is the oldest executive outplacement firm in the US. It has offices throughout North America. James E. Challenger is the founder of the company and the outplacement industry. SHRM (The Society for Human Resources Management) is recognized in 1996 as the creator and pioneer of the outplacement field.
The firm’s primary goal is to make the transition to reemployment easier for displaced workers  It was founded in 1962  The company specializes in sponsoring business benefits and services in the following areas: 1) Communication Strategy & Timing, 2) Phase Out / Shut Down 3) Community Awareness 4) Employee Retention 5) Contingency Planning, 6) Security and 7) Public Agency Involvement.
The media has covered the results of the studies that the company has put together. These include the cost of 2007 “March Madness” on the productivity of US businesses,  the flat rate of hiring seasonal workers  in 2011. Declining rate of teen employment in 2012  rising planned layoffs at the US companies in 2013  One of the key developments of this firm is the awarding of a $ 5 million federal contract to the US Navy’s Chief Naval Facilities Milling, Tennessee, for professional, scientific and technical services.
The firm also conducts regular surveys and issues reports on the state of the economy, employment, job-seeking, layoffs and executive compensation . It conducts one-off surveys on such subjects as workplace bullying , lost productivity due to the Super Bowl, and working women. [ quote needed ]
- Jump up^ John Challenger of Challenger, Gray & Christmas at HR Global ArchivedFebruary 2, 2013, at theWayback Machine. Accessed March 2, 2013
- Jump up^ Company Overview of Challenger, Gray & Christmas at Bloomberg BusinessweekAccessed March 5, 2013
- Jump up^ During NCAA basketball tournament, employers lose $ 1.2 billion in employee productivity ArchivedSeptember 20, 2011, at theWayback Machine. Accessed March 5, 2013
- Jump up^ Lifted from Tribune Media Services Jobs for seasonal workersAccessed March 5, 2013
- Jump up^ Report shows, Chicago TribuneAccessed March 5, 2013
- Jump up^ Lifted from Reuters: US Planned Layoffs Rose for 2ndMarchin a row in Feb says ChallengerAccessed March 4, 2013