New Escapologist was a UK-based lifestyle magazine between 2007 and 2017, now continues online as monthly subscription essays. The magazine and the current essay series take the stance That work HAS too central a position in life and Western That Work, consumption and pursuit of social status Too Often take precedence over happiness ,liberty , and unstructured leisure .  Simple living , creativity and Epicureanism are offered as solutions to the problems of overwork and overconsumption . 
New Escapologist was founded in 2007. Speaking at a public event together in 2009,  Robert Wringham told Tom Hodgkinson that he started New Escapologist after reading Hodgkinson’s book How to be a partner of Houdiniand Among the Bohemians: experiments in living by Virginia Nicholson. 
A pilot issue was printed in 2007, a first canonical issue in 2008, and a launch party was held at the Glasgow CCA in 2009.  
In 2011, New Escapologist Organized a zine fair in Support of the student occupation of Heatherington House at the University of Glasgow.  The same year saw the launch of a fifth issue at The Arches Theater and Nightclub, and a sixth issue at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival . 
In 2014, around the time of the magazine’s tenth issue, a spin-off book written by Wringham was announced. Following a successful crowdfunding campaign,  the book was published by Unbound on 28 January 2016 followed by a German edition published by Heyne Verlag later that same year.
In 2017, it was announced that the magazine would be published by Patreon . The first of these essays went live in April 2017.
The magazine’s separate typography , selon has colophon printed in the back of Each issue,  Was Achieved using Donald Knuth ‘s TeX typesetting system with a layout based year is ancient Ge’ez liturgical text seen at the Matenadaran Manuscripts Museum in Armenia .
The magazine’s logo, featured prominently in the masthead of early issues, and is the standard ISO “running man” symbol usually seen on exit signs . 
- Jump up^ Escapology: Another way to look at MoneySense Findependence. 11 October 2013. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- Jump up^ ‘Extremely damaging’ work stress causes Brits to drink, smoke and be lazyRT. 12 February 2015. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- Jump up^ “Great Escape” PhotosNewEscapologist.co.uk. 11 October 2009. Retrieved 10 January 2016./
- Jump up^ The Great Escape: Tom Hodgkinson (with Neil Scott)Wringham.co.uk. 25 November 2010. Retrieved 10 January 2016.
- Jump up^ New Escapologist launch party. Newescapologist.co.uk. 10 July 2009. Retrieved 10 January 2016.
- Jump up^ Map of Thoughtland: New Escapologist Thoughtland. 22 September 2010. Retrieved 10 January 2016.
- Jump up^ Free Heatherington Zine Fair Zine Wiki. May 17, 2011. Retrieved January 10, 2016.
- Jump up^ New Magazine Escapologist Launch: Issue 5thearches.co.uk. May 10, 2011. Retrieved January 10, 2016.
- Jump up^ An Escapologist’s Diary. Part 28.NewEscapologist.co.uk. 30 August 2011. Retrieved 10 January 2016.
- Jump up^ Escape Everything! Unbound.co.uk. 2 August 2014. Retrieved 10 January 2016.
- Jump up^ Escape Everything !: Escape from work. Escape from consumerism.Escape from despair. Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 10 January 2016.
- Jump up^ Colophon,New EscapologistIssue 1
- Jump up^ New EscapologistIssue 1
- Jump up^ Status Anxiety and Bohemia: Alain de Botton. Wringham.co.uk. March 8, 2011. Retrieved January 10, 2016.
- Jump up^ New Escapologist HiLobrow. 12 November 2012. Retrieved 10 January 2016.
- Jump up^ Notes Towards Becoming a Good Citizen New Escapologist. 16 December 2012. Retrieved 10 January 2016.
- Jump up^ Escape to Your UnconsciousGlasgow School of Institutional Art Repository. 21 November 2011. Retrieved 10 January 2016.