Westat is an employee-owned professional services corporation  located in Rockville, Maryland , USA . Westat Provides research services to agencies of the US Government , as well as businesses , foundations, and state and local gouvernements .
Westat Inc., Edward C. Bryant, Ph.D., a tenured full professor of statistics at the University of Wyoming, and James Daley and Donald King. In 1963, the company was incorporated. Dr. Bryant served as Westat’s first President until 1978, when Joseph Hunt took over as President and CEO for the next 32 years. In May 2011, James E. Smith, Ph.D., became President  and CEO of the company. On November 1, 2017, Scott Royal, Ph.D., was appointed President, reporting to James E. Smith, CEO. 
In September 2014, Westat entered into a conciliation agreement with the OFCCP) to resolve issues, including record keeping and statistical shortfalls in hiring for certain jobs, identified during a routine audit of the company’s affirmative action programs for 2008-2009. There was no OFCCP finding of intentional discrimination on Westat’s part. The agreement requires payment, has been completed, and has two-year reporting period, ending in September 2016, with which the company is in full compliance. Westat has also taken substantial steps to correct the reporting process and remains committed to equal opportunity employment and affirmative action programs.
Westat conducts studies on health conditions and expenditures,   academic achievement and literacy,   medical treatments and outcomes,    exposure assessments, program evaluation,  14]   information management and communications solutions,   and respondent knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors.  It supports two software packages, WesVar and Blaise. The former is a variance estimation software while the latter is a survey processing system. 
The firm is employee-owned. All employees can earn a share of the Westat Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). Since the introduction of the plan in 1977, the value of employee holdings has grown. 
Department of Labor ‘s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs Discovered, During a scheduled audit of the company systems in 2014. That Westat Systematically discriminated contre 638 women applicants, 2,153 African American applicants, 825 Asian American applicants, and 35 Hispanic job applicants for research analyst, programmer analyst, telephone data collector, survey process, and field data collector positions, between Oct. 1, 2008, and Sept. 30, 2009.  
According to the OFCCP, Westat agreed to pay $ 1,500,000 in all types of employment, make 113 job offers -keeping violations, conduct internal audits, and perform outreach and positive recruitment activities. 
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “The 2017 Honomichl Top 50 Report” (PDF) .
- Jump up^ “Global Impact: Maryland” .
- Jump up^ https://www.ama.org/publications/MarketingNews/Documents/2017-top-50-gold-report-article.pdf
- Jump up^ Smith leads Rockville’s Westat with a head for numbers and peopleRetrieved 2015-02-24.
- Jump up^ Scott Joins Royal Westat as PresidentRetrieved 2017-11-13.
- Jump up^ Field Survey Staff – NHANESRetrieved 2010-08-11.
- Jump up^ Study: Diabetes self-management portal yields prospects resultsRetrieved 2011-03-16.
- Jump up^ Mary Ann Zehr, December 10, 2009.What Kinds of Schools Are Most Likely to Teach Foreign Languages? Education Week. Retrieved 2010-08-03.
- Jump up^ Jay Mathews, July 19, 2010.Better data needed to Accurately misses school systems. Washington Post. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- Jump up^ Center Watch Clinical Trials ProviderRetrievedProfile2010-08-03.
- Jump up^ September 1, 2009.Innovative therapies for post-traumatic stress disorder treatment. Codex Science. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- Jump up^ November 4, 2010.Lung cancer trial results show mortality benefit with low-dose CT. National Cancer Institute. Retrieved 2010-11-05.
- Jump up^ NICHD Announces Contracts to First Research Centers for Planned National Children’s StudyNICHD Website. Retrieved 2010-08-03.
- Jump up^ Ryan Grim, September 7, 2006.A White House Drug Deal Gone BadSlate. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- Jump up^ Ryan Grim, September 7, 2006.National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) National Youth Anti-Drug Campaign – ReportsNIDA Website. Retrieved 2010-08-03.
- Jump up^ Head Start Impact Study. Final Report. Retrieved 2010-08-11.
- Jump up^ Westat, Inc. Wins $ 1.09 Million Federal Contract. Bloomberg Business Week. Retrieved 2010-08-03.
- Jump up^ Wham! Pow! The CDC Goes to Comic-Con. The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2010-10-10.
- Jump up^ William H. McMichael, July 8, 2010.Pentagon Sends out survey is gay troops. Army Times. Retrieved 2010-08-03
- Jump up^ Westat USA is the distributor of the Blaise system for North, Central and South America. Blaise Contact Information. Retrieved 2010-08-03
- Jump up^ Westat Website: BenefitsRetrieved 2015-02-24.
- Jump up^ Marshall, Ryan (12 September 2014). “Rockville country company $ 1.5M in discrimination claim” . Rockville Gazette . Retrieved 18 December 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b McGinnis, Laura; Trupo, Michael. “OFCCP News Release: 09/10/2014; Data mining giant Westat to pay $ 1.5M to settle discrimination case with US Labor Department” . Department of Labor . Retrieved 18 December 2014 .